Monday, May 3, 2010

Hank Skinner Status: Another Monday, Another Delay

The Supreme Court failed once again to announce their decision regarding Hank Skinner's request for a writ of certiorari.  The next time they are scheduled to make such announcements will be two weeks from today, 17 May.

You can read the story here.

Not much to do but wait. I guess you could read Part II of my post on Delma Banks. Last week, while delaying a decision on Hank Skinner, the Supreme Court gave Texas the green light for executing Delma, almost thirty years after the crime.

The Case of Delma Banks: Part II

In Part I of this two part story on Delma Banks, I laid out the State's slam-dunk case against Delma Banks. Banks came to my attention because the Supreme Court just recently cleared the way for Texas to kill him. Texas had been giving it their best shot for almost thirty years (the murder having occurred in 1980) and they had come within 10 minutes of doing so in 2003, but the path now looks more clear than ever.

If you wish to experience this post as I intended, you should first read of the State's no-brainer case as I took the trouble to present it in The Case of Delma Banks: Part I. I know you won't do that though, if you haven't done so already. I know you. And you won't do that.

So I'll do the next best thing. I'll give you a real quick summary of the State's case, real quick, and then I'll go through it again as I did in my first post. This time, however, I'll add the tidbits that bring uncertainty to this seemingly open-and-shut case.

Real Quick Summary: